Thursday, January 17, 2013

I Can't Think reflection


This article, like a lot of other readings I have done so far this quarter, was a bit overwhelming to start with. However, I believe that it was intentional of the author to write this way, proving one of the points that the article is trying to make. Once, I got into the article a little more and really tried to understand it, the wheels began to turn.

In this day and age we are constantly receiving information, opinions, and personal updates in a matter of seconds after an event occurs. People have developed a need to know and we have created a way for everyone to fulfill this need quicker and easier then they every have in the past. We can get news, reviews, and almost anything else we can dream of finding at the tips of our fingers. If we seem to have difficulties with this, such as our computer stalling for a few seconds, we get aggravated. The author brings up the point that technology and the information that we are able to access through this technology has become a basis for a lot of decision making for people in the recent years. I have thought a great deal about this point in particular and the effect technology has had on my life. I am aware that have used information that I have gained through the media, news, and social interactions to help me make some decision and there are probably also some decisions that I have made by subconsciously using these resources. Recently about 10 keys on my computer stopped working all of the sudden. This has also had a big effect on my decisions. I have to plan things out more and be more productive because of my lack of accessibility to computers. However, it has made it a lot easier to make my own decisions and good decisions. I no longer waste my computer time using Facebook constantly or going on Google and looking up random thing because I am bored. However, people on Facebook and media trends have become less of an influence on my decisions.

The point in the article that really stuck with me is that decision-making science shows that some of our best decisions are made through an unconscious process. After becoming less involved in the world of excess information I found that my decisions became easier to make and better for me in the long run. Therefore, in my eyes it makes sense that our unconscious process makes the better decisions because it is a natural reflex or instinct and is less affected by influences that surround a person. Yes technology is a vital piece of our lifestyle now days and lack of access can put us in a rutt or make us fall behind. However, do we really need the almost unlimited amount of information and misinformation that is out there to effect our decision making process?

2 comments:

  1. I also struggled a bit with this article at first until I was able to really focus on it I was unable to understand it. Which now that you mention it makes sense that the author may have written it this way in order to make people really focus in on the bigger idea of technology and our decision making and attention.

    I can relate to that feeling of technology not working. I was without my smart phone for about two weeks before I got it replaced and I never realized just how much I used it until I didn't have it anymore. It makes you have to become more creative and rely just on yourself and your own decision making.

    I also liked your point about how technology is key to the way we live our lives but that doesn't mean we have to use it all the time for every little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am most definitely guilty of wasting my time on Facebook. I think what you are saying actually goes along well with that of the author. It took your computer breaking in order for you decide to become less connected with the technology world. How do we instill the lesson that you have learned in others who are not as lucky (in a sense) to have their computer break? I always have tossed around the idea of deleting Facebook, but it always comes down to me wanting (or maybe needing to stay connected).

    ReplyDelete