When I first heard the words challenge based learning in class and that we had to do a project with it I had no clue where to start. I didn't really understand what challenge based learning was and what I was going to have to do. Through the reading I learned that challenge based learning is education with a clear purpose. A fairly simplistic concept that sadly gets over looked. It is education that is engaging and relevant to our students and where they are in their lives.
Now days the over used "purpose" of teaching has become to pass the standardized tests. Teachers spew out information and drill it into students to make sure they pass their exams, not making sure that they understand the content or that they have really retained it. Sadly, it the way the classrooms have become because the structure that has been placed upon school systems and classrooms. Also, because of educations need in general for funding and funding comes to those with higher scores. I really liked the challenge based learning reading and all of the opportunities it shows us. The author mentions that a lot of assignments in the curricula are lacking real-world context for students.
Education is supposed to be about learning, it is for the students and it is about the students and their needs. Not about teachers or tests, or even funding although helpful to have. If students can relate contain to life outside the classroom and make clear connection to way what they are learning is important then they will be more engaged and more apt to listen and learn. Challenge based learning is to keep students with you and part of the learning process and it is important that even though there is the necessity to do well on tests that we keep students engaged, involved, and motivated.
I think why challenge based learning is not used more often is because of teachers having to teach for the test. They have so much curriculum to cover that is on the standardized test that teachers may not feel they have time to use CBL in their classroom. The truth is that this provides an authentic learning experience fore students that will have more of an impact on their education. This needs to be implemented in more classrooms. This is a great response and I completely agree with all of your points.
ReplyDeleteI really agree with your point, and Jason's as well, about how teachers can't used CBL more often because they do have to teach to standardized tests. Students are taught now days so that they can successfully fill in bubbles and write to essay prompts by the end of the year. How much more valuable could it be to emphasize this slightly less, and instead utilize this way of learning that could really enhance student knowledge and creative expression? Awesome post, Rayista!
ReplyDelete